Toile for grey/blue cotehardie

Just finished making a toile in some green linen I had left. I fitted it on top of my red wool dress since I want the new dress to be a lined (warm) overdress to wear on top of others.

(By the way, I'm still really astonished of the red dress... how on earth did I get it so perfect and snug? I REALLY need to make a new toile in wool- since linen and wool behave differently when stretched - and actually keep it this time, just as perfect, so I can use it to make new dresses like the red one :) But that's a question for later.)

 

 

Snug cotehardies with buttons on the front and sleeves are commonly seen during the latter half of the 14th century (and probably early 15th too). Often worn with yet another dress above with sleeves that hang to the floor and open at the elbow to show off the buttoned sleeves beneath. However, mine will be the over-overdress :) And probably occasionally worn with just a tunic beneath, if it doesn't turn out like a huge tent. (It won't.)

 

Now I have cut the toile apart along the seamlines and when I get myself some new pattern paper I will trace it onto that. And also, buy the lining fabric.

So long!


Modified hood

I decided to modify my black hood a little bit. I have always found it a tiny bit uncomfortable, and also, it doesn't keep me warm at all so I use it mostly for wind protection.

However, after the last Double Wars I decided that I had to do something about the freezing-as-hell-situation and line my hood (and eventually the cloak, or make a new one) and also make it a bit longer over the shoulders, and wider in the back. I also decided to keep the front open with buttons so I won't have to ruin the hair every time I put it on. I learned to do the buttons just recently so they are not perfect but what the hell.

 

I really don't consider my simple hood to be very precious so I didn't exactly aim for perfection... I think it turned out MUCH MUCH better than before though! Now it's actually comfortable to wear.


Finished green

I did not have time to document the progress on the olive green kirtle. However, here is a picture of the finished dress from a couple of weeks ago :) As always it looks better in real life. The linen wrinkles as hell though :(

 


RSS 2.0